Loading...

lundi 7 septembre 2015

1O ALIMENTS A NE JAMAIS DONNER A VOTRE CHAT OU CHIEN

SOURCE

That’s because there appear to be tiny wires in Pedigree brand dry dog food. Now, dog owners are looking for answers.
Thousands of worried pet owners have shared their concerns online, but Pedigree says what pet owners are finding are not wires but naturally occurring meat fibers, like pig hair, from processing the food.
Nevertheless, some people have reported that their dogs have become ill after eating the Pedigree food, or have simply refused to eat it altogether. Each time Pedigree posts something new on Facebook, more and more concerned people are sharing their stories of finding the “wires” and warning others against buying the brand.
As KVLY reports, dog owner Traci Boe wasn’t sure she believed there could be wires in the dog food, so she decided to take a look. “I held a magnet upside down and it stuck to it and wouldn’t fall off,” Boe said. “It’s just a tiny black piece. They’re really hard to see.”
Obviously we don’t want to feed our pets pieces of wire, but let’s use this opportunity to take a look at ten foods that you should never give your cat or dog.
Alcohol: All alcoholic beverages and food products containing alcohol can have disastrous effects on the human liver and brain, and the effects are amplified for our pets. Even a tiny amount of alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and even death.
Avocado: This fruit contains Persin, a toxic component which has adverse effects on the heart and lungs of our pets, and can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
Caffeine: I love my morning coffee, and indeed tea and coffee are known for their positive effects on our health. But the same is not true for our pets. These products all contain methylxanthines, and when ingested by pets, methylxanthines can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm and seizures.
Chocolate: You probably already know this one, but you should never share a bite of your favorite chocolate bar with your pet. The theobromine in chocolate can cause irregular heart beats in dogs and cats, which could prove fatal. Don’t even let your dog lick the chocolate frosting on that cake.
Grapes & Raisins: It’s unclear what it is about grapes and raisins that creates problems, but it is certain that these fruits can cause kidney failure in dogs and cats, so don’t leave them lying around.
Milk: As a child, I watched my mother giving our cat Timmy a bowl of milk every day, so this one was a total surprise to me. Mom was making a big mistake: cats do not possess significant amounts of lactase (the enzyme that breaks down lactose in milk), which means that milk and other milk-based products may cause them diarrhea or other digestive upset.
Onions & Garlic: You may love to cook with a perfect combination of these two, but onions and garlic are highly toxic to animals. Onions, in particular, have a destructive effect on your pet’s red blood cells, which can lead to anemia, breathing troubles and weakness.
Raw/Undercooked Meat, Eggs, Bones: Some people may consider raw bones to be a natural food for dogs, but they are definitely a choking hazard. Raw meat and raw eggs also may contain Salmonella and E.coli bacteria, which can affect your pet’s health. In addition, raw eggs contain an enzyme called avidin that restricts the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin), leading to skin and coat problems.
Salt: Too much salt produces excessive thirst and urination, or even sodium poisoning. Don’t let your pet have any of those salty chips, or you may find she is throwing up, has diarrhea, tremors or an elevated body temperature.
Xylitol: Candy, chewing gum, and baked goods may contain a sweetener called Xylitol, which can cause insulin release in most species, potentially leading to liver failure. The increase in insulin triggers a sudden fall in blood glucose level, and this could cause seizures and/or loss of coordination.
Of course, even if you know what to avoid feeding your cats or dogs, they do have minds of their own, and accidents can happen. If you suspect your pet has eaten any of these foods, note the amount ingested and contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.